Wandering the webs, I came across the New York Foundation for the Arts site, including info on artists’ fellowships. A quick perusal of the app reveals what they want from you:
“A representation of your recent artistic work within the last 5 years.”
This represents a large corpus of work for, let’s say, Jess, but for me? Let’s see…
- Several drafts of the Magnum Space Opus, the most recent of which being written mainly in a single month.
- A play written under similar restraints.
- One piece of flash fiction, sent to Artvoice and rejected.
- One sci-fi short story, sent to a few magazines and rejected.
- A version of Jorinda and Joringel.
- Another short story submitted to a contest. No prize awarded.
- Another few remarkably horrible short stories.
None of this has been published, of course. I have yet to develop the discipline to really edit stuff (spell-check is enough, right?) and there’s always another ephemeral concept waiting in the wings, begging for my attention. The next project, that will be the one I really throw myself into.